Wednesday, January 30, 2013

On a mission

I had a friend make the claim that Fox News doesn't lie.  Although there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary all over the Internet for anyone who wants to bother doing research (complete with video evidence), I am making it my mission to prove that Fox does, indeed, lie.

I am picking one show every week and recording it on my DVR.  I will review each show, giving myself the weekend just in case, and review claims made by Fox News contributors and talking heads.  I will do my own analysis and prove my case.

I know this is like shooting fish in a barrel; this is the channel that scoffed at Hillary Clinton's medical condition, calling it "the Benghazi flu".  Is that a lie?  It's definitely a distortion of the truth based on a lack of information.  It's irresponsible journalism, at the very least.

Two other incidents come to mind immediately: they aired sound bites of Barack Obama on two occasions, omitting context that would change the understanding of the part they chose to show their viewers.  One was his infamous "you didn't build that" speech, where the context made clear that he was talking about roads, bridges, and other infrastructure businesses use that the taxpayers provide.  The other was an interview where he talked about immigration law enforcement and presidential powers.

In any case, I'm going to decide this week which show I will analyze next week.



No comments: