Friday, May 30, 2014

Marriage Equality Church: Becoming an Official Non-Profit Organization

I have my EIN number, and I have the forms filled out to incorporate in Pennsylvania.  Once the papers are filed with Pennsylvania, I can make the Marriage Equality Church (its corporate name, but perhaps not its DBA) an official 501(c)3 organization, which means all donations would be tax deductible.

Since it is a church, no determination letter is required for the donation to be tax deductible.  I can understand if people want to wait until the status is official to donate, but if you do donate now, the 501(c)3 status will be in place before you file taxes next.  Stay tuned.  I will post here when the status is official, for those who want to (understandably) wait.

In the meantime, I am drawing up a statement regarding the mission of the church and its core system of ethics, which are based on love, empathy, and altruism.

No comments: